Happy Tuesday!

Well I was sitting here as usual perusing instagram and found something that kind of changed something for me.
My entire life I thought that my aversion to fruit and vegetables was just me being a picky eater, that I just haven't found a way that I like to eat something. so today I ran across a post by someone called @bribitesback it was basically listing what foods they eat and what reaction they have to food they dont like, but it was a revelation, appartently an aversion to texture or certain types and having entire food groups you won't eat (for me its fruit unless blended), having anxiety about trying new foods and eating out is something that is called Selective Eating Disorder, or Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID).

Its not necessarily the flavours I dont like, such as the vegan cottage pie I ate this evening. The flavours were wonderful, but the texture put me off, I had to make sure that it was enough mashed potato was on each forkful, so I could chew or not as the case maybe. This, for me means that it may not just be that I am a picky eater, but it could be something deeper, something that may not be as fully under my control as I first thought.

Being a 40 something year old woman, I have over come a lot of food type challenges. However there are lots of situations where I will avoid certain types of food, there are foods I would love to eat but feel that I just couldn't.

Please find below more information on Selective Eating Disorder, or Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder (ARFID). There are varying degrees of these disorders and I would like to look into this further and see if there is a genetic component to this. Some of my children seem to have a similar issue with food and I wonder if it is a nature vs nurture issue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant/restrictive_food_intake_disorder
https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/types/other-feeding-disorders/arfid

Comments

Popular Posts